(978) 682-2220 Email Us Request a Consultation

Legal Service with a Human Touch

Family 2A Category to Become Current July 1, 2019

IMMIGRATION NEWS: Family 2A Category to Become Current this July

Earlier this month, the U.S. State Department announced that the family 2A category (spouses and unmarried children of lawful permanent residents) will become current, for the first time in several years, on July 1, 2019.

The family 2A category is backlogged approximately 2 years, so this is great news for green card holders, their spouses and unmarried children!

Request a consultation!

If Your Spouse/Children are In the U.S.

If you’re a green card holder and your spouse and children are legally present in the U.S., they will be able to file applications for adjustment of status (form I-485) starting on July 1, 2019. They will also be able to apply (simultaneously with the I-485) for Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and Advance Parole (AP) international travel document.

If your spouse/children are residing in the U.S. but are not in legal status, they may qualify under section 245i,to adjust their status in the U.S. This also applies if your spouse/children are under removal proceedings. They can request that the Immigration Judge expedite their next hearing so that they can file for adjustment of status in July 2019.

If Your Spouse/Children are Outside the U.S.

If your spouse/children are abroad, and you have an approved I-130, make sure you or your attorney submit all the required documentation to the National Visa Center immediately so that your spouse/children can be scheduled for their immigrant visa interviews in July 2019.

If You Are Planning to Get Married

If you are a green card holder who is planning to get married, you may want to do so as soon as possible, especially if your future spouse is legally present in the U.S.  You will be able to file for adjustment of status for your spouse in July and avoid separation.

Request a Consultation!