(978) 682-2220 Email Us Request a Consultation

Legal Service with a Human Touch

Immigration News Update! Certain Non-Immigrants Can Now File Form I-539 Online



You may file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, online, if:

1. You are a single applicant (without co-applicants, or legal or accredited representation); and

2. If you hold the following status:

  • B-1 temporary visitor for business;
  • B-2 temporary visitor for pleasure;
  • F-1 academic student with a specific status expiration date;
  • F-2 spouse or child of an academic student with a specific expiration date;
  • M-1 vocational student; or
  • M-2 spouse or child of an M-1 student.

Filing online lets you:

  • Get your application into USCIS’ processing queue faster than mail delivery; and
  • Communicate with USCIS directly, without sending paper mail.

F-2 and M-2 Nonimmigrants

If you are in the U.S. with F-2 or M-2 nonimmigrant status and want to extend your stay, compare the expiration date of your status with your spouse or parent’s F-1 or M-1 status. If the expiration dates on both are:

  • Different, you may apply online as an individual.
  • The same, you may apply as a co-applicant using a paper Form I-539

You can confirm your online filing eligibility at uscis.gov/i539online.

Filing online helps you:

  • Apply using a computer, phone, or tablet;
  • Complete all relevant parts of your application;
  • See when USCIS receives your application; and
  • Receive online updates on your case.

If you need assistance with filing your I-539 application, please do not hesitate to call our office at 978-682-2220.