(978) 682-2220 Email Us Request a Consultation

Legal Service with a Human Touch

Latin business peopleOfficially known as “Professionals Under the North American Free Trade Agreement,” a TN Visa is available only to citizens of Canada and Mexico, under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

A citizen of a NAFTA country may work in a professional occupation in the U.S. provided:

  • the profession is recognized under NAFTA; and
  • the alien possesses the specific criteria for that profession; and
  • the prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity; and
  • the alien is going to work for a U.S. employer.

If all of these conditions are met, then a TN may be issued. Spouses and unmarried, minor children of principal aliens are entitled to a derivative status visa, but they are unable to accept employment in the United States. Aliens entering under this classification are considered non-immigrants and granted TD visa status.

Obtaining a “TN” Visa

To qualify for admission under this classification, citizens of Canada, at the U.S. Port of Entry, must:

  • Request “TN” status.
  • Bring the original documentation and provide a copy of the applicant’s college degree and employment records which establish qualification for the prospective job.
  • Provide a letter from the prospective U.S.-based employer offering him/her a job in the United States. The job must be included in Appendix 1603.D.1 of NAFTA, which provides a list of provisions covered by the Agreement.
  • Pay a fee of $50.

Canadian citizens are not required to obtain a visa, but instead receive “TN” status with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at their Port of Entry. Please note that the “TN” status will only be granted if the period of stay is temporary.